Foreign travelers can book domestic flights in China with valid passports or Chinese residence permits. Citizens from Hong Kong and Macau can book with passports or home-visiting permits. Citizens from Taiwan can book with passports or Taiwan compatriot permits.
Items Unacceptable as Baggage (including checked and carry-on baggage)
Please do not include in your baggage the following items.
1) Items which are likely to bring damage to the aircraft, people or property on the plane including flammable, explosive or corrosive things, compressed gases, poisonous, offensive or irritating substances, oxidizing, radioactive or magnetized materials and the like.
2) Items the carriage of which is prohibited by the Chinese laws or regulations.
3) Decomposed or fresh and raw materials with pungent odor, such as seafood, durian, raw egg, etc.
4) Items which are reasonably considered by airline companies to be unsuitable for carriage because they are dangerous, unsafe, fragile or perishable, or by reason of their weight, size, shape or character.
5) Firearms and ammunition are not accepted as baggage, except for those for hunting and sporting purposes. Those for hunting and sporting purposes may be accepted as checked baggage, provided that the firearms are unloaded with the safety-catch on and properly packed and approved by the airline companies.
Items Unaccepted as or in checked baggage
1) Items which are fragile and easily breakable.
2) Lithium battery for portable electronic devices such as laptop computer, cell phone, camera fulfilling the following two requirements can be accepted as carry-on baggage.
*The lithium content of lithium metal battery shall not exceed 2 grams.
*The power capacity of the battery shall not exceed 100Wh (watt hours).
The replacement battery of electronic devices has to be properly packed or with electrodes correctly insulated.
Battery with the power capacity ranging from 100Wh to 160Wh can be put in the carry-on baggage after getting permission from the airline companies. Each passenger can take maximum 2 pieces. Carriage of battery with power capacity of more than 160Wh is prohibited.
Items not Advisable to Include in checked baggage
1) Valuables including money, negotiable papers, jewelry, precious metals, curios, paintings and calligraphic works, computers, personal electronic devices, samples, or other valuables,
2) Important documents and identification documents
3) Prescribed medicine to be taken regularly.
Items may be accepted as baggage only after permission is granted
Precision instruments, electrical appliances, sports equipment, folding or electric wheelchairs for passenger use during the trip, guide dogs, hearing dogs, small animals (limited to domesticated dogs, cats and birds, etc.), dry ice and drinks containing alcohol. The above items can get onboard only if permission has been granted in advance by the airline companies. Animals can be accepted as checked baggage with the approval of airline companies and under the conditions as below.
*You must ensure that animals such as dogs, cats, household birds and other pets, are properly crated and have valid health and vaccination certificates, entry permits, and other documents required by countries of entry or transit.
*If accepted as baggage, the animal, together with its container and food, shall not be included in your free baggage allowance, but will be treated as excess baggage, for which you will be obliged to pay the applicable charges.
*Guide dogs accompanying passengers with disabilities will be carried free of charge and will not be counted as part of your free baggage allowance, subject to conditions specified by the airline companies.
1) Liquid Items
*Liquid items are prohibited from carry-on baggage but can be packed in checked baggage. Packaging of liquids must comply with the relevant provisions of civil aviation transport.
*Small amounts of cosmetics and personal care products are allowed in carry-on baggage only if in individual containers with a maximum capacity of 100 ml for each item, and all items are placed in a single bag for inspection. For each type of cosmetic, passengers shall not bring on board more than 1 piece. And the overall capacity of all items should not exceed 1000ml.
*Duty-free liquid items brought by passengers of overseas flights connecting to domestic flights must be placed in a sealed transparent plastic bag with the supporting proof of receipt. These items would need to be approved by the security inspector.
*For passengers taking international or regional flights, their liquid items in carry-on baggage are still subject to the relevant provisions on carrying liquids on airplane in China by the General Administration of Civil Aviation of China (CAAC) announced on March 17th 2007.
2) All types of oxygen equipment are prohibited onboard all flights
3) Diabetics are allowed to carry sufficient supplies of insulin, hypodermic syringes with needles, liquid food (such as sugar-free juice) and other items, but they must have a medical certificate, doctor's prescription and documentation for the medicines, all of which must be inspected by security staff prior to boarding the aircraft.
4) Passengers can bring powdered formula for babies and mix it with water on the plane.
5) Passengers may carry a maximum of RMB 20,000 or foreign currencies equivalent to US$5,000 on board.
Free carry-on bags
First class and business class passengers can have two carry-on bags but the whole weight cannot exceed 5 kg(11 Ibs). Economy class passengers can carry on one bag and the max weight is 5 kg(11 Ibs)
Sizes of your bags and items may not exceed 21" x 15" x 7"
55cm (21 inches) in length, 40cm (15 inches) in width and 20cm (7 inches) in height.
Due to limited overhead and under seat space, larger items is suggested to be checked.
For the economy class, every passenger can get 20 kg (44 Ibs) as free checked baggage.
And the maximum of the sum of three sides should not exceed 62 inches.
When you packing your checked baggage, please kindly lock it and fasten it properly. It should be able to endure some pressure, and can be unloaded and transported safely under normal operating conditions
Women who are pregnant for less than 32 weeks can fly, provided that she is not diagnosed as being not suitable for air travel. Women who are 32 weeks bus less than 35 weeks pregnant and are expected to give birth in more than 4 weeks are required to present a permit within 7 days prior to departure. The permit shall be issued by the hospital of county level or above, indicating the feasibility of air travel. Women who are 35 weeks pregnant or more than 35 weeks, is not allowed to travel by plane. And those whose expected delivery date is in or within 4 weeks cannot fly on a flight as well. And women cannot fly within 7 days following the birth of the baby.
Chinese domestic flights usually provide food for all the customers for free (except Spring and Autumn Airlines).
If your flight time is over 2 hrs and right meet the breakfast, lunch and dinner time, a light meal will be offered.
Below is a time table for meals on the plane just for your reference. Typically, during the time below, airlines will provide you a light packed meal which includes water, fruit, a piece of bread, vegetable, meet and rice. For the rice, you will have two choices, such as rice with beef and rice with chicken. Sometimes, noodle is also provided.
If your flight time is less than an hour, snack like a piece of bread or a small bag of peanut will be offered.
Air hostesses will offer tea, coffee, juice and water on the plane now and then. If you need, you can ask for it.
If you are a vegetarian, you can ask for s special meal when booking.
1) Choose perfect timing
a) 15, 30, 45, 60 and 90 days before the departure date
Usually, early booking is preferred. But timing is also very important. In China, some air lines will give good discount 15, 30, 45, 60 and 90 days before. It is very risky to purchase the tickets within 10 days before your departure date because it might be sold out or the price will increase.
b) Low –season
Generally, it is cheaper flying during the low season. Most airlines will offer a relatively big discount during the time below:
*The period after big vacations (Such as Chinese New Year, May Day Holiday and National Holiday)
c) Late-night flight and Early morning flight
These above two kinds of flights are also tending to be a big discount. As for some major business cities, like Shanghai and Guangzhou, many business traveler prefer to travel in the late night rather than early morning, therefore, while you booking flights from these cities, early-morning flight is cheaper than the late night one.
2) Choose Connect-Flight instead of Non-stop Flight
Typically, connect flight is cheaper than direct one. For example, if you want to fly from Hangzhou to Urumqi, you can fly to Xian firstly and then transfer to the other flight and fly to your final destination.
For the transfer, major airport hubs is preferred because there more choices for the flights.
3) Choose the nearby airport
For example, Haikou and Sanya are closer. If you want to fly from Hangzhou to Sanya directly in high season, you might pay full price for the tickets. Then you can fly to Haikou firstly then take plane, bus or train to Sanya. In this way, you will save your cost.6
4) Choose suitable airlines
Although the air route is the same, discounts will be diversified based on different airlines. From Hangzhou to Kunming, Hainan airline offers good discount; while from Hangzhou to Shenzhen, Shenzhen airline provides cheaper tickets.
5) Choose a reliable ticket agent
A reliable ticket agent can help you get a good price for the same flight with a little agent fee. Absolute China Tours is a travel agency covering business of booking flights. And booking E-ticket via us, our profession tour operator will assist you book a suitable flight and save your time and money.
1-888-414-0686 (US & CA)
Many people are looking for travel deals before their trip to China. We believe you may find a good China travel deal here that suits you best.
If you're looking for a great guide to the best and most interesting tourist attractions in China, then allow us to show you China from the inside.