Other Tibet Travel Tips
1. When you meet monks, you had better fold your palms and bow your head slightly to show your respect to their religion. It is not proper to shake hands or hug.
2. When talking with lamas, you must avoid bringing up killing or marriage, and do not ask questions about whether they have meat or not.
3. Keep quiet and do not bang or fumble about in the temple. Watch silently or left quietly, if there are Buddhist rituals.
4. The lamas in Tibetan temples prefer to be called as "Lama".
5. If you choose Sichuan-Tibet Highway to go to Tibet, you may prepare some small gifts, such as cigarettes, candies, or stationery, which can be used as a reward for people who give you a free ride or help you in your tour, or as a gift for local children.
6. Remember to follow the step of the Tibetans, who are performing turning scripture, and walk in a clockwise direction when you are in the Eight-Angle Street, or you can hardly get out of the crowd. That you do not walk in a clockwise direction is considered to be a profane act by the Tibetans.
7. Initially, there was no restriction on visitors' watching celestial burial. It was forbidden later so as to show respect to the dead. But without the family's permission, some visitors watched celestial burial furtively, took pictures, and displayed them, which hurt the Tibetans greatly. The Tibetans are friendly and their culture and conventions should be respected.
1-888-414-0686 (US & CA)
Many people are looking for travel deals before their trip to China. We believe you may find a good China travel deal here that suits you best.
If you're looking for a great guide to the best and most interesting tourist attractions in China, then allow us to show you China from the inside.